Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Greyhound Racing

I've been more busy the last few weeks than I was the first month or so. From here on out, I pretty much have plans nonstop most weekends, and hardly any free days left. I may take a sick day or two from my job, I can definately get away with it.

Tonight we went to see greyhound racing way down in South London. Its the working class area of town, sort of like the south side of Chicago where all the lazy sox fans live. It was pretty fun, I had a couple beers and ate way too many fries, I don't feel so hot. Its only because I had to skip dinner cause I didn't have time to eat it between my job and leaving for the track. At the track, all of us were yelling and screaming and getting really into it, and so were some other people, but you could tell the majority of other people there resented us loud young folk. Someone even heard another patron remark "Those stupid Americans are going to be annoying me all night". I'm sure we did, too. Most of us bet on the races, it only cost two pounds to pick the winner. On the first race, I put my money on dog number one, Kerr's Comet. He came through for me, I won eight or nine pounds and put two of it towards my next bet on the next race; there were races every fifteen minutes. After that, things didn't go so swimmingly for me. I lost every bet after that, including a nail-biting heart breaker where my pick lead up until the last 40 yards, coming out of the last turn. I was wimpering like a child as he got passed right before the finish line. That dog was something like 22:1 odds, it would have paid out nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment